Make Sunday morning special with this delicious and easy make-ahead meal. Serve with mini croissants or French bread, butter and jelly. Hash browns and fruit salad are nice accompaniments. Mimosas are a lovely drink to top off your breakfast/brunch.
- 1 pound ham, bacon, or breakfast sausage
- 9 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- Diced green, red, and/or yellow pepper to taste
- 4 – 1 inch slices Vienna or French bread, cubed
- ½ pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ pound Swiss or Gruyere cheese, or a combination of the two grated
- Diced onion to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dice the ham or bacon. If you use ham, set aside in the bowl you choose for the eggs. Fry bacon to the crispness you prefer. If you use breakfast sausage, fry the meat until no longer pink. Be sure to break up any clumps. Drain the meat in a colander while you continue to prepare the soufflé.
- Add all ingredients, but the bread, to the eggs. Stir well.
- Stir in bread.
- Pour mixture into an ungreased 9x13 inch glass dish. Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center has no egg cling to it.
- This dish can be assembled one or two days ahead of time. Allow the soufflé to sit on your counter 1 – 2 hours before you bake it.
Leftovers are excellent from the microwave.
May you enjoy all the days of your life around a well laden table!